Monday 30 September 2013

Mise En Scene



Today in our Media lesson we focused on Mise En Scene.
Translated it means 'Setting of the Stage', so the general term is associated with what props, actors and scenery you place in your shot and where.

We discussed how colours would effect Mise en Scene (what tone they would give to the scene: Yellow - light/happy, Deep Blue - Sad/Cold), and we talked about what props and items would be in a room belonging to different groups of people in different time periods (to make them relatable).

  • If I was thinking about Mise En Scene for my own film, I would have to think about many potential issues I may come across. For instance:  I would have to take into account who I would cast due to limited resources available to create a suitable mise en scene, so they would suit the setting I put them in.

  •  I would have to make sure the colours of the props and walls featured in the shot were all complimentary, so I won't have a conflicting colour pallet where some areas are light and some our dark.


  • I would have to consider the time period in which the scene is set so I do not add any props or scenery that wouldn't have been there.


  • I would have to think about association which was featured in one of the clips we watched (the Duchess). The duke and Duchess were riding in their carriage along the streets of London from the Church (after getting married) to the Dukes house. The streets were packed with commoners and market stalls, and there wasn't enough space to contain all the people. When they reached the Dukes house, the courtyard was a huge open space, big enough to hold all the market goers but reserved only for about 10 people at a time. This shows the rich had excess all for them and I'd have to show something similar in my film.

1 comment:

  1. Well done for connecting the analysis you did in class with your own practical work. Superb!

    ReplyDelete