Friday 4 April 2014

Evaluation Task 1 - 9 Shot Analysis







In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? 




Shot 1 -

For my production company logo, I really liked the concept of the MGM 'roaring lion', but I wanted something a little quirkier to suit my chosen genre. When we were filming the last of the shots, we noticed a cat watching us from a window and I saw an opportunity to get my lion into my film. Fortunately he decided to yawn for us and now he is my own MGM 'esque' mascot. 


 

Shot 2 - 

Here I wanted to apply two of the key aspects of 'indie' film openings:

1. Set up an enigma that will later be discovered/resolved/defeated

2. Establish an equilibrium by showing ordinary objects in an ordinary setting (e.g. teenage jeans and trainers)

 

Shot 3 -

For this project I wanted to obey the convention of having the credit for a particular actor show up on screen when said actor is present for the principle characters. I also wanted to again show the mundane and ordinary aspects of the world the audience is viewing.



Shot 4 -

In this shot I wanted to introduce the second character, but not his surroundings. It is apparent he is outside, as is the first character, but I didn't want to show the distance between the two, meaning I can put that to better effect later on.


 

Shot 5 - 

I wanted this shot to be the first time the audience gets a sense of something out of the ordinary going on, so by having the character open the book on that specific double page reading something suspicious I felt it would take the rest of the film off in a different direction, as is the norm with other films of this genre.


     

Shot 6 - 

Here I used close up to allow time for the second character to come closer without the audience's knowledge. I also wanted to have some 'irregular' shots to better suit the conventions of the genre and to give those watching a better feel of what kind of film this is.




Shot 7 - 

Here I wanted to show a full scope of where the previous events had taken place. Where the first character came from, where the second hid, where the first moved to and where the second ran away are all visible in this shot. I also wanted to introduce the third character before you saw her as she is also an enigma, and so I wanted to give the audience a hint of what's to come and build anticipation. 


 


Shot 8 - 

Here I wanted to defy camera convention and add a few shots that do not agree with the 180 degree rule etc., as in may chase scenes and similar films (from which I took my inspiration) they take several different and illogical angles and compile them to make a faster moving, more visually interesting piece. I also wanted a shot of both actors running at the same time, to show the chase more clearly. 


 

Shot 9 -

In this shot I wanted to build up the suspense, and make a bigger moment of the book changing hands. I wanted the tension to mount and the audience to get a sense of danger, especially as a young girl is handing the book over, making it seem she is as dangerous as the book.




Shot 10 -

By having this as my last shot, I wanted to establish a hierarchy as they do in many films of this genre. I wanted to make clear the fact that the girl is the head if the operation and the other two are more like henchmen in comparison. 







No comments:

Post a Comment